A good move is not just a matter of changing your address and taking all your belongings with you, a move is also a series of administrative procedures. Ignoring them can quickly become a source of stress and even problems in some cases. This is why it is important to anticipate and organise yourself well before, during and after the move.

What are the steps to follow?

Before the move :

About 2 or 3 months before the move:

- For tenants, it is necessary to inform the landlord or the syndic of his departure in order to carry out an inventory of fixtures. A minimum of 1 month's notice must be given.

- Contact the schools located near the new residence in order to pre-register the children.

- Contact the post office in order to continue to receive mail by choosing its forwarding offer, for a period of 6 months (for €28.50), to 12 months (for €51.50). This operation can be carried out directly on the La Poste website.

- Declare the change of address to the tax authorities in order to no longer be deducted from the local taxes of the old town.

- Notify Pôle emploi of the move so that you can continue to receive your entitlements.

- Inform the Caf or CPAM (primary health insurance fund) of the change of address in order to continue to collect your entitlements.

- Cancel the insurance of the old home and insure the new one.

- Notify the mutual health insurance company.

- Inform the employer of the change of address in order to benefit from moving leave by sending him/her proof (e.g. an estimate from the company responsible for the move).

- Contact the CAF to check whether you are entitled to the removal allowance, bearing in mind that in order to benefit from it, you must have at least three dependent children, be eligible for APL housing benefit or ALF housing allowance.

One month before the move:

- Cancel or transfer your fixed telephone and Internet connection, TV, cable or satellite subscriptions.

- Communicate the new address to the organisations responsible for gas, electricity and water meter readings.

- Notify the bank of the change of address and transfer the account to a branch near the new place of residence.

- Take out removal insurance to cover any damage.

- Request a parking space at the town hall.

On the day of the move

- Cancel water, electricity and gas contracts and read the various meters by making an appointment with an agent. The balance to be paid will be transferred to the new address.

- Carry out an inventory of fixtures of the old and new home.

After the move

- Send the new RIB (if the bank account is changed) to all the organisations that collect the client: tax, employer, insurance...

- Change the voter's card by contacting the town hall of the new place of residence or by logging on to the public service website. To do this, proof of address will be required.

- Have the new address entered on the vehicle registration document or request a new one if you move to a new département and in this case also change the number plate.

- Change the car insurance, bearing in mind that the amount of the premium may vary depending on the geographical area.

- Take out home insurance with the possibility of transferring the insurance from the old home to the new one.

Individuals who pay contributions to one of the following organisations must also be informed of the change of address:

- Farmers: contact ARRCO-AGIRC to continue to benefit from MSA health cover and retirement.

- Military: contact the CNMSS.

- Retirees: contact the CNAV, CRAV, CGSS and CARSAT.

As regards the steps involved in choosing a removal service provider, check that the company chosen is registered with the road haulage register (TRM) and the trade and companies register (RCS). In addition, choosing a professional who is a member of a trade union (Fédération française des déménageurs, Organisation des transporteurs routiers européens, Chambre syndicale du déménagement) is generally a guarantee of quality. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)