A cheap move is prepared several weeks before D-day. Apart from the event itself, there are a number of administrative procedures that need to be taken care of.

What are the main administrative steps to be taken before, during and after the move, and what documents are required?


If you are a tenant, it is important to inform the landlord of the premises of the date of your cheap move. Notifying the landlord allows you to make an appointment to draw up an inventory of fixtures for your move out. Alternatively, you can contact the building's syndic. For this step, a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt is necessary. The exit inventory of fixtures consists of comparing the state of the dwelling at the end of the rental lease with its state at the beginning. Any deterioration will also be noted.

It is necessary to use the same form that was used to draw up the inventory of fixtures on entry, bearing in mind that both documents must be in conformity. This step will enable the tenant to recover his security deposit in part or in full, depending on the condition of the accommodation when it is returned to the owner.

If you have children attending school, you must notify their current school and obtain a certificate of deregistration. At the same time, you must register your children at the town hall of your new address, and then present proof of address as well as a document proving their identity and filiation, such as a birth certificate or a family record book. These documents will enable you to receive certificates of enrolment at their new school.

You can also benefit from "moving leave" by informing your employer of your change of address, but to do so you must present proof, such as an estimate from your mover, if you have opted for this solution.

At least one month before your cheap move, inform the tax authorities, CPAM, Pôle emploi, EDF, the bank, CAF, the mobile phone operator, etc. of your change of address. Also, think about cancelling the insurance of your former home or transferring it, taking care to inform your insurer of the changes brought about by your move (number of rooms, etc.). Also think about changing your car insurance, bearing in mind that the amount of the premium differs from one geographical area to another.

It is imperative that you carry out an inventory of fixtures at the entrance to your new home at least 2 to 3 days before you move. Ideally, this should be done on the day you sign the rental agreement. This important step should be carried out in the presence of the landlord or his representative. This document will describe the condition of the dwelling, room by room (condition of the walls, ceilings, floor, furniture and household appliances, if fitted), before you move in. This form must be clear and precise, to avoid leaving room for misinterpretation. Also, the tenant must keep a copy of this document, which will be useful at the end of the lease, for drawing up an inventory of fixtures on leaving.


On D-Day, remember to read the meters of your old home and even those of your new home. Also, if you have not yet changed your contact details with certain private or public organisations, don't panic, you can still do so by logging on to mon-service-public.fr.

You can also transfer your subscriptions to your favourite newspapers and magazines. But on the big day, it's best to focus your energy and efforts on the move itself.


In the month following your move, you must change the address on your vehicle registration document, which you can do online. You will need to send your request to the sub-prefecture of your new place of residence. If you change departments, you will obtain a new car registration document and a new number plate. You must also change your voter's card by contacting the town hall of your new place of residence. The latter will also remove you from the old town hall. If you are a foreigner, you will need to change your residence permit.

You can also change your address on your national identity card, driving licence and passport, although this is not compulsory.

If you were the owner of your old home and you sold it while buying another one in another geographical area, you will have to go through the same administrative procedures for a cheap move, except for the entry and exit statements. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)